Running your landscaping business effectively means making smart investments, cutting costs and growing your customer base.
Here’s 5 Ways to Start Running a Better Lawn Care Business Today:
1. Track Your Marketing Effectiveness
In order to effectively run, and grow your landscaping business, you’ll need to get the most out of your marketing budget. Tracking the effectiveness of your online and offline marketing campaigns will allow you to do that.
Tools like Google Analytics provide data about traffic to your website that can be used to understand which online marketing efforts are working, and which are not.
Here’s what to start tracking:
- Unique Visitors: Defined as the number of individual visitors to your website over a specific period of time, unique visitors help you gauge how well marketing promotions, paid ads or marketing content drive traffic over a given time period.
- Search Engine Traffic: Tracking how many visitors are being referred to your website through “organic” web searches will help you understand how well you’re optimizing your marketing content for search engines.
- Conversion Rate: Conversion rate refers to the percentage of visitors to your website that actually become customers, and monitoring it will help you understand how effectively your marketing efforts are targeting potential customers.
- Social Media: Monitoring how much web traffic is coming from specific social media channels will help you determine which promotions, offers and content have been most successful.
Make sure to evaluate how well your offline marketing strategies are working, too. That can be accomplished by simply asking new customers how they heard about your business, or by “keying” fliers and print ads with a specific word or phrase to redeem an offer.
2. Tax Planning and Accounting
Regardless of what industry they’re operating in, small business owners routinely report that accounting and tax preparation are among their greatest challenges.
In order to operate effectively, landscaping and lawn care business owners must have a plan to simplify tax preparation.
Here are two key steps to get started:
- Hire an Accountant: A professional accountant will help ensure that you get the most out of your business deductions, and he’ll also help you plan for equipment purchases and other business investments with taxes in mind.
- Bookkeeping: Bookkeeping software that enables to you track revenues and record business expenses as they add up will simplify your year-end tax planning and eliminate surprises.
3. Establish a Positive Work Environment
Best practices for employee management are often forgotten at landscaping and lawn care businesses with a handful of employees who work side-by-side each day.
In order to keep your business running effectively, however, you’ll need to establish a professional work environment and chain of command that your employees respect.
Here are a few tips to getting started:
- In Writing: Print employee handbooks that clearly outline your company’s policies, chain of command and procedures for reprimand to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Organize Crews: Making new hires or temporary employees work directly under and report to a veteran employee will establish a chain of command while ensuring that quality work and company policies are upheld.
- Professional Development: Empowering your employees to earn certifications, attend training events and grow professionally will demonstrate that you’re invested in them, build mutual respect and improve the professionalism of your business.
4. Use Customer Feedback to Your Advantage
A strong customer base is the foundation of successful landscaping businesses, so feedback from customers should always be used to make your business operate more effectively.
There are multiple ways to get feedback from customers. One way is to directly ask for specific feedback. Another way is to track their behaviors and preferences in a customer database over time.
Here’s how customer feedback can help you operate more effectively:
- Customize Promotions: Using customer preferences and data, you can create customized promotions that target specific customers or groups of customers with similar preferences.
- Improve Marketing: By recording where customers came from and what services they are looking for, customer feedback can help you improve marketing.
- New Services: Customer feedback and preferences can be used to help you effectively determine which services you should add to your business.
- Improved Experience: Customer service and satisfaction are the goals of effectively running a landscaping business; listening to their feedback will help improve both.
5. Invest in Your Future Success with Scheduling Software
Improving how you schedule jobs is one of the quickest ways to cut overhead expenses and maximize the number of billable hours in a day.
Lawn care business scheduling software features intuitive and user friendly scheduling and routing tools that enable you to easily create, schedule, reschedule, and route jobs, even recurring jobs, as efficiently as possible. Furthermore, with all your customer info, jobs, and each crew member's schedule in one place, you’ll be better able to spot and correct any scheduling conflicts before they become an issue the day of.
Running your landscaping business effectively requires an all around approach that includes every aspect of your business. Tracking your marketing efforts, planning for taxes, fostering a professional and respectful work environment, using customer data to your advantage and scheduling smarter will help you run your landscaping business more effectively.
What are some other tips you’ve used to run your landscaping business effectively?